Friday, May 24, 2013

Travelling Techniques

"I had to stop driving my car for a while... the tires got dizzy" (Steven Wright)
  
  Reminiscing of my Road Trip across Canada I found myself driving to Saint John. While I may have stated previously that I don’t have a car, it is worth knowing that indeed, I do not own a car. Fortunately My dad recently moved closer to Halifax (considering he previously was in Toronto) and I was able to borrow it granted I could make a bus trip to his location.

   After getting the car and driving across New Brunswick before landing in Saint John, I proceeded to drive to Fredericton and then back to Halifax on top of a variety of other driving in the span of just a few days. This made me realize that through my cross country trip and practiced through shorter (but still long) drives I have developed a number of innate techniques for driving and staying alert.

1.       Have a buddy: More often than not I find myself driving alone, and I find that’s the real danger. At least if you have a friend/family with you you’ll likely be chatting away the hours. If your relationship is less than stellar, then at least the idea that you have more than your life in your hands will keep you focused (hopefully none of you out there have any car-murder schemes in the works!).

2.       Sugar Overdose: While only recommended for the occasional long distance driver, by pumping your digestive system full of sugar helps you stay alert and only borderline hallucinating. Granted this only works if sugar doesn’t send you into a hyperactive state that may cause many speeding tickets.

3.       Music: For the most part, blasting mu favourite tunes keeps me awake only because the excess noise keeps me alert. This may not be recommended for someone whose favourites include ocean waves and sounds of nature.

   I really enjoy driving, but somehow I forget that long drives are still pretty tedious, especially when they aren’t in the employment of getting to an awesome destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment