Friday, January 11, 2013

A new adventure!

"Vitality shows in not only the ability to persist, but the ability to start over" (F. Scott Fitzgerald) 
        This is the inaugural post of my new HaligonIan blog, while it is a new blog it isn't my first attempt at blogging, it's more of a restart of my blogging experience. Please don’t judge the content of this blog by its name, it simply reflects a few things about me:
1.       My love of fusing my location and my name. 

2.       My love of the fact that residents of Halifax are known as Haligonians, a handle that they embrace rather than shun.

3.       My love of puns, and terrible jokes in general. (Haligonians are people from/living Halifax and I happen to be an Ian living in Halifax) (Ba-dum-swish)
        For those of you who didn’t follow my blog where I took a roadtrip across Canada with my best friend Geoff, you can find it here at: caniescape.blogspot.com. I very much enjoyed the experience but what I didn’t expect was how much I would enjoy blogging about it. 

        Currently this blog isn’t expected to have a unifying theme; I didn’t want to pigeonhole it into talking about one thing to the exclusion of others. I hope to be able to put a spotlight on things that I happen to be enjoying at the time, although some mainstays are to be expected. I don’t expect it to ever rally around one topic or the other, but you’ll probably end up hearing about some things more than others (namely board games).

        For those of you who did follow my blog and wondered what happened in the meantime the synopsis is as such.  In June I was back in Ontario, I enjoyed a Summer of Leisure interspersed by intense periods of moving stuff in my car from my old Apartment in Halifax to my Dad’s house in Oakville. I had already been accepted into a Master’s program before the roadtrip but I didn’t make a big deal about it. I have since finished my studies as of July 2012 and had a ton of awesome experiences including trivia nights, water polo and meeting my girlfriend Sarah.
        After July 2012 and taking a look at the state of the labour market for new Graduates in Ontario I shamelessly decided to take the first job that came along with both hands. Hilariously enough as it turned out I got a Maternity Leave position as the Evening Manager at the Library that I had previously worked at before my Master’s degree. It had a bit of a regressive feel towards taking it, I went and got a graduate degree and landed up at the same place as I had left, albeit in a more senior position (for more pay, horray!). I enjoy the people I work with and I the experiences I have working every evening at the library make it worth it. These experiences have even been encouraged by some to get spun into their own special blog feature, so stay tuned to see if this becomes a reality. 

        Since then I have moved back to Halifax (which was an ordeal in itself) with Sarah and currently live in an area of Halifax that has a worse reputation that it deserves. I really enjoy living in Halifax and I hope to take advantage of everything this city has to offer. Another Haligonian mentioned to me one time that ‘Halifax can be a hard city to make it in, people who want to make it easily don’t survive here and they move elsewhere, so Halifax ends up being full of simply awesome people” which is a statement I can agree with, you have to want to live here in order to fully appreciate all it has to offer, rather than it being a place that you live in while you work.

       So far I haven’t had a chance to venture much further than the core: it took longer than expected to get settled and to renew old social contacts. However in the coming spring I hope to do much more exploring around Halifax and surrounding area, or at least as far as I can get by bike and transit since I don’t have a car. 
I don’t have an update schedule to stick to, but I plan to make additions to this as often as I can accumulate enough interesting things to say about in it. For now, continue enjoying the new year of 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment