Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Moving in Moncton


“Voyage, Travel and Change of Place impart vigor” (Seneca)

     This weekend I made a trip up to Moncton to help my Dad move in to his new house. This might be a bit of a misnomer because he had movers and unpackers, so my role was relegated to helping move furniture around rooms for stylistic purposes as well as put things away in their designated spots. However, anyone with experience helping people move that even this ‘endgame’ stuff can still take a vast amount of time and energy, especially over a large house.
     The trip started Friday with a train trip down to Moncton, for only the 2nd time in my life! The train is a lovely way to travel if you’re not in a hurry. It combines the luxury of the train with the speed of a bus and the price of an airplane ticket. I don’t understand what makes train tickets so expensive but I can’t imagine many people can afford to take it over long distances. They’re fairly affordable over the short haul, with prices comparable to the bus, unfortunately they have a much more restrictive schedule. It only runs a few times a week as compared to Maritime Buses three times a day. Why did I go by train then if it’s so terrible? Sometimes VIA rail has an awesome sale, this trip they had a sale that pushed the price down to $32 one way, which can’t be beat!

     The train had a bajillion cars, and surprisingly only the last two at the very end were coach cars, the rest being sleepers. I was confused by this until I realized that the train departing Halifax goes all the way to Montreal in a trip that takes twenty two and a half hours; I think I might want to be able to sleep in a bed some of that way as well.

It's like one of those optical illusions that just never ends.
     The train itself was nice, if a bit dated. I had a laugh when I thought that I had been mistakenly directed to first class. There was so much space, the seats were so large and the legroom so spacious I figured I must have been directed to the wrong section. I just waited as the conductor came around, figuring when he came to my seat he’d send me back to the right section with an admonishing glare. Instead he just checked my ticket, smiled and wished me a good day. As it turns out I was in what passed for coach on the train, it was very classy. 
     When I arrived at my Dad’s house everything had already been moved in but had been pushed to the centres of the room by the painters. I helped him reorganize the living room before some coworkers came to work on a presentation for later in the week. At that point we ordered chinese and called it a night in terms of moving stuff, pretty slack for a first night, a thought I would later regret.

Dad's house.
     We ordered from House of Lam, which I guess anyone from Moncton would already know about but I thought was amazing. These guys have been in business since 1973 and for good reason, the food was delicious! It was exactly what you could hope for in Canadian-Chinese cuisine. I know it’s not authentic (I had a friend in Toronto who took me to Chinatown every time I was up so I know the difference) but in terms of what is defined as ‘chinese’ food for most people it couldn’t have been any better. I got a combination plate with Chicken Balls (Sweet and Sour Chicken), Honey Garlic Ribs, Chicken Fried Rice and Chicken Chow Mien, all delicious! It was apparently a favourite of my Grandfathers and I hope it sticks around until the next time I find myself in Moncton.
     The next day the unpackers arrived and did their thing, which is basically just unpacking boxes and assembling furniture (although we later found out, that doesn’t included just purchased IKEA furniture!). Dad and I figured out how he wanted the kitchen. At that point my Mom showed up for a surprise visit (my parents are amicably divorced) so we went for lunch.
     On our way to lunch we stopped over at the Moncton market and got some eggs and samosas. It’s a bit of a price shock going from Oakville where samosas can be had for 45 cents to Moncton where the going rate is two for $5, but if you want your fix on that tasty Indian treat you’ve got to pay in Atlantic Canada. I also thought it was funny that the market was so busy at 12:45, I thought the crowds would thin out earlier than that, although it was clear the vendors were getting ready to throw in the towel at 1pm regardless of the crowds.
     For lunch we went to the Homestead to meet with my aunt and cousin. It is a restaurant in Riverview that feels like it is as old as time itself. I had gone there at least once a vacation when my family used to come down to Moncton and cottage in Shediac every summer when we lived in Toronto. I hadn’t been there in many years but it was still very popular, underlined by a 10 minute wait to get in. The homestead has an interesting business model in that everything is super cheap but everything costs extra. If you want a burger you get just a burger with relish, mustard, onion and ketchup. You want cheese? Extra, you want lettuce? Extra? You want fries? You better believe that’s extra. Everything is very reasonably priced there, and you can usually get a full meal for about $10-15. I got a Bacon Cheeseburger with a side of homefries (basically just fried diced potato).
     After that exceptional lunch, we headed back over to Dad’s. With a quick goodbye Mom was on her way back to her sister (my aunts) house, Dad and I made a trip over to the Mecca of wholesaling: Costco. After we returned home dad and I continued to arrange the house before his partner arrived from all the way in Oakville, ON (He was electing to drive his own car down, rather than ship it). Once he arrived we had a delicious home cooked meal of Lentil Sheppard’s Pie and an evening of relaxation. That is, Terry (Dad’s partner) and I relaxed and watched TV while Dad organized the main bedroom upstairs. We all swore up and down that Sunday would be a true day of rest.
     If that was the case, it turned out to be the most restless day of rest ever. After realizing we had forgotten a few things at Costco on Saturday. As well, it had vigorously started snowing and Terry and Dad agreed that they should hire a plow service. Finally, we had promised to pick up an old table from my Aunt Janet once we realized Dad’s old kitchen table wouldn’t cut it in his cavernous new kitchen and living room.
     In what can only be described in the most hectic four hours in recent history we managed to get the payment over to the plow guy to get the driveway plowed that same day. We got to Costco to pick up the things and realized Terry had also asked for a new desk, without realizing that said desk cost four hundred pounds in two boxes, after loading all that into the van we even made it over to my Aunts house to pick up the table without a minute to spare (we were trying to make a bus that got me back to Halifax).
     While it only took Dad and I to get the desk into the van, it took all three of us to get it out of the van again, through some sort of heavy package magic. By the time we got it to the 2nd floor we were all ready to collapse in a heap of exhaustion. Instead to threw a room full of books onto a bookshelf and called it a day.
     Finally, proving Dad is a culinary master, he managed to throw rice, tofu and brown beans together with a salad and make it into an appetizing meal. I do enjoy tofu so it wasn’t even that, it was just the fact that it was so few ingredients and it still came out to a delicious supper. I guess it’s a prime example of Occam’s razor, the simplest solution is the right one. We were all hungry, Dad took delicious ingredients and threw them into a big pot and it came out awesome.
     Finally, I managed to make it down to the bus station at the Via Rail Terminal in Moncton a whole ten minutes early. Only to have it 30 minutes delayed anyway for a slow bus connection. As said in perils of planning, sometimes it doesn’t matter how well you plan. The new bus service, Maritime Bus is pretty good. It’s not any cheaper than Acadian Lines, but the busses seem nicer, possibility because Maritime Busses parent company: Trius Tours, manages Tours of PEI and other maritime locals, so their buses are generally used to ferry customers in comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment